It’s always a great feeling to add to your ever growing jewellery collection, but to make sure you get the most out of your pieces, here is a guide on how to look after gold-plated, brass and silver.
Sterling silver, like other precious metal alloys, can oxidise with time. You only have to do a few simple things to avoid this:
- Store in a cool, dry place, preferably in a tarnish-preventive bag or wrapped in a soft piece of felt or cloth.
- Store pieces individually so that they don’t knock together and scratch.
- Do not rub silver with anything other than a polishing cloth. Paper towels can cause scratches because of the fibres in these products.
- Make sure your silver is not exposed to air and light during storage – this can cause silver to tarnish.
- Don’t wear sterling silver in chlorinated water.
- Brass reacts differently depending on the wearers ph / body so keeping it away from moisture can prevent any kind of markings.
- Clean with a damp clean cloth; and wipe the dirt and oil residues, following the natural grain of the metal. Dry it immediately as water can leave marks on the metal.
- You can also use a solution of warm water and a small dose of mild dishwashing liquid soap and rub it using your fingers or a soft-bristled toothbrush. Afterwards, you can rinse carefully with tap water and thoroughly pat dry with a cloth, so no marks are left.
- These techniques can also be used from bronze pieces too.
- Remove all gold plated jewellery when doing activities around heat and moisture (bathing, swimming, exercise etc).
- Apply all lotions and perfumes before putting on your gold plated items - different chemicals can cause tarnishing.
- Like with most jewellery, do not to mix them with other pieces, as rubbing up against other metals can wear away the layer of gold.
- Do not sleep with your jewellery on.
- Do not use any abrasives to clean your gold plated jewellery.
Exploring an eclectic assortment of handmade and sustainably sourced jewellery, Couverture’s latest editorial is a celebration of free-flowing design that effortlessly blends playful twists with striking details.
Renowned for her distinctive use of colour and pattern, Donna’s designs are infused with her playful sense of humour, her love of nature and a life-long passion for craft and making. Two decades later, Couverture celebrates this momentous landmark with a window installation dedicated to the anniversary Autumn / Winter 2023 Collection.
For our autumn editorial, the Couverture team headed to a mid-century modern house to capture standout styles from the AW23 collections.